The National CHW Training Center had a record-setting year in 2014! Highlights include:
– Teaching five certification classes (two online CHW certification classes, one in-person CHW certification class at UT-Brownsville, and two online, self-paced CHW instructor certification classes)
– Teaching four in-person workshops (Breast & Cervical Cancer CEUs in Bryan, Texas; Diabetes, Obesity, Nutrition, & Exercise CEUs in San Diego, California, and El Paso, Texas; Fall Prevention CEUs in Arlington, Texas)
– Presenting and/or exhibiting at four state/national conferences (HPV & Cervical Cancer Summit in Houston, Texas; CHW Unity Conference in Baltimore, Maryland;
American Public Health Association Annual Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana; Texas Gulf Coast CHW/Promotora Association’s Annual Conference in Houston, Texas).
– Receiving national recognition for NCHWTC staff – Paula received an honorable mention for the Esther B. Holderby Outstanding CHW Award in May 2014.
– Receiving a CDC-funded Obesity Prevention Grant to work in Hidalgo County as part of a partnership with the School of Public Health and AgriLife Extension
– Establishing an affiliation agreement with Coastal Bend Health Education Center in Corpus Christi, Texas, so that their CHW instructors can teach using the NCHWTC curriculum
– Revamping the NCHWTC’s online presence, including a brand-new website: http://nchwtc.tamhsc.edu and a new online learning management system: http://tamhsc.blackboard.com
– Adding two new self-paced CEU modules online (Diabetes, Obesity, Nutrition & Exercise; Fall Prevention)
The training center looks forward to building on the past year’s progress and continuing this momentum in 2015.