CHW/Promotora Certification Course Overview
- The standard Community Health Worker (CHW) course is a hybrid online + self-study course.
- The direct link to the course website for trainees will be hosted on Canvas (online trainee platform).
The CHW Certification Course is $750/per trainee enrolled. To see course prices and payment options, see the following link: https://nchwtc.tamhsc.edu/course-payment.
The National CHW Training Center offers the CHW Certification Course.
Next course offer: September 13, 2021 – December 6, 2021 (Fall 2021 Cohort), as a 12 week course. This course will be taught in English.
The CHW course is 160 total hours and covers eight competencies: Communication, Teaching, Interpersonal Skills, Service Coordination, Capacity Building, Advocacy, Organization, and Knowledge Base.
- Each of the eight competencies is composed of 20 contact hours.
- The approximate breakdown of hours for EACH competency (totaling the 160 contact hours):
- Class sessions (live and pre-recorded) and activities: 7.5 hours
- Homework: 5 hours
- Hands on experience: 7.5 hours
Note: there are no pre-requirements to become our student, but in Texas for CHW certification with the state, applicants must be a Texas resident and 16 + y/o: http://www.dshs.texas.gov/mch/chw/chwdocs.aspx
Trainee Information for September 13, 2021 – December 6, 2021 (Fall 2021 Cohort):
- The CHW course is an online course taught on ZOOM and Canvas.
- Instruction will be in English.
- Trainees can watch the course pre-recorded videos, attend live Zoom sessions, and complete Canvas assignments.
- The following eight CHW core competencies must be completed in order:
- Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Service Coordination Skills
- Capacity Building Skills
- Advocacy Skills
- Teaching Skills
- Organization Skills
- Knowledge Base Skills
Your first task as a trainee is to attend our first live ZOOM session on September 13, 2021 from 5:30PM-6:30PM (Central Time).
Homework assignments will be due on various dates (see file below). Also, you will have until December 3, 2021 the service log (i.e., 60 hrs. of hands-on-experience). The course will go by fast, so it’s recommended you complete core competency assignments at a weekly pace!
It will pay off in the end as we celebrate trainee graduation on December 6, 2021 from 5:30PM – 6:30PM (Central Time).
The Fall 2021 calendar: CHW Certification Course Calendar_ Fall 2021