CHW/Promotora Certification Course Overview
The National CHW Training Center offers 24-week CHW certification courses on a twice yearly schedule:
March – September (Spring) and October – March (Fall).
Right now, our current session:
- Began Monday, March 26, 2018 and concludes Monday, September 17, 2018.
- The course meets weekly from 4:00 – 6:30 pm (Central Time).
Our next session:
- Starts Monday, October 1, 2018 and concludes Monday, March 25, 2019.
- The course will meet weekly from 4:00 – 6:30 pm (Central Time).
Note: there are no pre-requirements to become our student, but in Texas for CHW certification with the state, applicants must be a Texas resident and 18 + y/o: http://www.dshs.texas.gov/mch/chw/chwdocs.aspx
Every CHW course is 160 total hours and covers eight competencies: Communication, Teaching, Interpersonal Skills, Service Coordination, Capacity Building, Advocacy, Organization, and Knowledge Base.
- Each of the eight competencies is composed of 20 contact hours.
- The approximate breakdown of hours for EACH competency (totaling the 160 contact hours):
- Class sessions: 7.5 hours
- Homework: 5 hours
- Hands on experience: 7.5 hours
Please click here for a PDF of the Course Structure.
- The standard CHW course is a hybrid online + self-study course
- The direct link to the course website for students is: https://moodle.tamhsc.edu/
- During registration, students create a username and password that allows them to access course materials and the link to the online class sessions.