Certification Course Overview
- The CHWI course is a self-paced online course.
- The direct link to the course website for trainees will be hosted on Canvas (online trainee platform).
- Trainees can watch the course videos and complete the assignments at their own pace.
- The competencies must be completed in order.
- Upon first day of training, trainees receive a username and password that allows them to access course materials and videos.
The CHWI Certification Course is $1200/per trainee enrolled. To see course prices and payment options, see the following link: https://nchwtc.tamhsc.edu/course-payment.
The National CHW Training Center offers the CHW Instructor Certification Course as a three month course.
Next course offer: September 13, 2021 – December 6, 2021 (Fall 2021 Cohort). This course will be taught in English.
The CHWI course is 160 total hours and covers eight competencies: Communication, Teaching, Interpersonal Skills, Service Coordination, Capacity Building, Advocacy, Organization, and Knowledge Base.
- Each of the eight competencies is composed of 20 contact hours.
- The approximate breakdown of hours for EACH competency (totaling the 160 contact hours):
- Class sessions and activities: 7.5 hours
- Homework: 5 hours
- Hands on experience: 7.5 hours
Please click here for a PDF of the Course Structure.
Note: There are no pre-requirements to become our student, but in Texas for additional certification with the Texas Department of State Health Services, applicants must be a Texas resident and 18 + y/o.
Note: The Texas Department of State Health Services requires that CHW instructors have an affiliation with a certified training center in order to deliver trainings. For that reason, our center strongly encourages students to arrange an affiliation prior to completing the certification.
Register for September 13, 2021 – December 6, 2021 (Fall 2021 Cohort)