CHW/Promotora Instructor Certification Course Overview
The National CHW Training Center offers 24-week CHW instructor certification courses on a twice yearly schedule: March – September (Spring) and September – March (Fall).
Our current session:
- Started Monday, March 26, 2018 and concludes Monday, September 21, 2018.
Note, courses can be offered on a custom schedule upon request.
The CHWI course is 160 total hours and covers eight competencies: Communication, Teaching, Interpersonal Skills, Service Coordination, Capacity Building, Advocacy, Organization, and Knowledge Base.
- Each of the eight competencies is composed of 20 contact hours.
- The approximate breakdown of hours for EACH competency (totaling the 160 contact hours):
- Class sessions and activities: 7.5 hours
- Homework: 5 hours
- Hands on experience: 7.5 hours
Please click here for a PDF of the Course Structure.
- The CHWI course is a self-paced hybrid online + self-study course.
- Students can watch the course videos and complete the assignments at their own pace.
- The competencies must be completed in order.
- The direct link to the course website is: https://moodle.tamhsc.edu/
- Upon registration, students receive a username and password that allows them to access course materials and videos.