CHW/Promotora Instructor Certification Course Overview
The National CHW Training Center offers 24-week CHW instructor certification courses on a twice yearly schedule: April – September (Spring) and October– March (Fall).
Right now, our current session:
- Began on Monday, October 1, 2018 and concludes Sunday, March 31, 2019.
Our next session:
- Starts Monday, April 1, 2019 and concludes Saturday, Sept 28, 2019.
The CHWI course is 160 total hours and covers eight competencies: Communication, Teaching, Interpersonal Skills, Service Coordination, Capacity Building, Advocacy, Organization, and Knowledge Base.
- Each of the eight competencies is composed of 20 contact hours.
- The approximate breakdown of hours for EACH competency (totaling the 160 contact hours):
- Class sessions and activities: 7.5 hours
- Homework: 5 hours
- Hands on experience: 7.5 hours
Please click here for a PDF of the Course Structure.
Note: There are no pre-requirements to become our student, but in Texas for additional certification with the Texas Department of State Health Services, applicants must be a Texas resident and 18 + y/o.
Note: The Texas Department of State Health Services requires that CHW instructors have an affiliation with a certified training center in order to deliver trainings. For that reason, our center strongly encourages students to arrange an affiliation prior to completing the certification.
- The CHWI course is a self-paced hybrid online + self-study course.
- Students can watch the course videos and complete the assignments at their own pace.
- The competencies must be completed in order.
- The direct link to the course website is: https://moodle.tamhsc.edu/
- Upon registration, students receive a username and password that allows them to access course materials and videos.